Pages

Monday, June 23, 2014

Naida Accessories


I have always been so thrilled with the hearing I get from my cochlear implants that I never really concerned myself with little extras or accessories that I did not have. My Harmony behind the ear processors served me well for many years without a remote control or any other add-ons. But now that I have them ...

The Naida replacement systems that I received in March came with some options. Since I am bilateral, I ordered the MyPilot remote control with one and the ComPilot with the other. I didn’t think I would use them much but since one or the other came with the kit, then why not? 

Although there are buttons on the Naida processors for changing maps and volume, I have found that I do really like using the MyPilot for adjustments and program changes. Along with the visual screen that allows me to see where I am, there are more options for adjustments with the MyPilot. One of my favorites is the sensitivity setting. When I was first implanted and used the Clarion Platinum body processor for the CII implant, I had sensitivity control. I gave that up to wear behind the ear processors that did not have a switch for that. It is really nice to have that back. I found it really helped me to adjust to a new map on my right ear that seemed a little loud at first, but by adjusting the sensitivity for a day or two, I was able to adjust to the map by giving my ear/brain time to get used to having more sound.

As a Harmony user I loved the T-mic and the ability to just pick up a phone and hold it to my ear like everyone else. I also found ways to listen to music that did not require me to change settings or use the direct connect to enjoy listening to my favorite songs. So I was a real skeptic when it came to the ComPilot thinking I probably wouldn’t use that much at all. 

About a week after getting my Naidas, I decided it was time to check out the ComPilot. Following the instructions provided, I first hooked it up to the Bluetooth on my laptop computer. Wow - the direct sound coming from my computer was great and I was curious to hear more. I then hooked it up to the Bluetooth on my iPhone 4 and tried a phone call to my mother. The only background noise I heard was coming from my mother’s end of the conversation. This was wonderful for cutting back on the “what’s, pardon me’s, and please say again,” parts of the conversation. Finally, I hooked it up to my Nano Shuffle to check out listening to the music I would play when carving my Trikke. I love this. I have to say it is wonderful to be out on the trail, carving and listening to my music just like other people out there wearing their earbuds and headphones as they walk, jog, bike or run. I have never been big on needing to fit in, but by golly this just felt really great! I was so wrong about the ComPilot. I use it all the time and really love it.

There is one more accessory that I am really excited about. The Naida waterproofing kit for swimming! It has not yet been approved in the USA, but is coming soon and I am excited for the release. Living in Minnesota, land of 10,000 lakes, I believe this is another accessory I may use a lot. Being able to hear while swimming with my grandsons would truly be a joy. 

Naida Accessories - Now that I have them - don’t want to live without them!

No comments:

Post a Comment