Pages

Saturday, May 31, 2014

From CII to Naida


When the decision was made 13 years ago to get a cochlear implant and I was faced with choosing a brand, my audiologist sent me home with information packets from two companies. The appointment to meet with the surgeon was scheduled and my audiologist informed me that I would need to let the surgeon know what my choice was when we scheduled the surgery.
I inspected the packets thoroughly. Advanced Bionics impressed me with what appeared to be a progressive attitude. They seemed to posses motive to provide the best cochlear implant technology while continuing to research ways to make the delivery of sound better. That seemed like a good fit for me. Even when things are good, I’m content, grateful and satisfied with my life, I don’t stop and say, “good enough.” Advanced Bionics doesn’t either. My hearing experiences with AB cochlear implants has been a series of continued advancements and joyful improvements in the quality of sound for me.

My first implant was the CII in a ceramic casing and used with the platinum II body processor and the CII BTE (behind the ear). The internal part of the implant, the CII, is still in place. It has worked with the Auria behind the ear processor, followed by the Harmony processor and now with the Naida.

When I went bilateral the AB implant was the 90K, and the processor was the Harmony. Since going bilateral in 2007, I had Harmony processors on both sides until March 12, 2014 when I received my Naida processors.

The above list of changes includes only the hardware. In between those changes there were also sound processing changes that were tested, approved and then applied to the processors bringing such things as more clarity in delivery of sound and better background noise management. Advanced Bionics did not disappoint me as they are always improving  - always looking for a better way.

My Harmony behind the ear processors provided me with many years of great service. They gave me great sound and wonderful features like autosound tuning and the T-mic. But with seven years of daily use, they were showing wear and the fit on my ears had become uncomfortable often causing soreness. It was time to replace them with new Naidas.

I have been using my Naida processors for almost three months. There are so many new features I am greatly enjoying with the Naidas that I want to talk about and share with my readers. If I write about them all in this post, it will become quite long. So I have decided to share in several posts. This will also serve to get me back in the habit of writing regularly - I hope. 

The phrase, “You’ve come a long way baby,” comes to mind as I think about the years I have been an Advanced Bionics CI user and all the changes that have taken place. The creation of the waterproof Neptune, the design of the Naida and all its features are great leaps from 13 years ago when I got my first implant. 

To begin my list of things I like about my Naida processors I will start with the fit. They are smaller and the new design of the T-mic places the microphone in the perfect spot on my ear without bending and twisting of the stem. 

Thank you AB for listening to your customers. Your actions and designs show us that you are paying attention and I for one appreciate that we are heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment