Pages

Friday, June 7, 2013

Making a Come Back


While at a holiday party this past winter, I found out that our local theater was planning to do the stage show “Jesus Christ Superstar.” I had seen this show before my hearing loss was diagnosed progressive and when I still had almost normal hearing. It is one of my favorite musicals. 

When my daughters were in marching band I did a lot of volunteer sewing for the color-guard. I was missing the sewing and creating that goes into putting together a show so I decided to volunteer to help with costuming LTO’s (Little Theater of Owatonna) production of “Jesus Christ Superstar.”  About a month ago we got started on the process and I have been going to the theater a couple nights a week. I’m sewing costumes for five of the characters. 

This evening I happened to be walking into the theater on my way to the costuming room when the cast was singing the “Hosannah” song. I stopped to listen and was completely drawn in. It was beautiful. I sat down and ended up staying for quite awhile as they continued to run the scene. 

Although I have had my cochlear implants for quite a few years, giving me a fair share of CI moments (as we cochlear implant users call them), this was another CI moment  in a couple of ways. First, hearing the voices raised in song as they carried through the theater was awesome. You see, the last time I attended a production in that theater, my youngest daughter was playing a major role in “The Crucible” and my hearing was so bad that I had to read the script before going to see her perform. I had stopped going to plays there because I couldn’t get the dialogue on my own. Being able to hear and understand songs in this theater that I stopped going to many years ago felt almost unbelievable.

The second moment is a little different in nature as it goes beyond hearing. I lost my hearing gradually over 30 years and little by little I gave up activities and relationships in my life as I became uncomfortable with my inability to hear. It was easier to shrink my world than it was to battle the challenges of communication I faced every day. I looked around the theater at the people noting friends from many years ago and the new friends I’m making and realized that I am no longer minimizing my world. I’m growing it, jumping in, and just like the stage production of “Jesus Christ Superstar,” I’m making a come back. 


2 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful, Glenice! A person never realizes how much they've been missing until they can hear again... I found that out after losing my hearing in my left ear after a car accident. I went for years without hearing aids because the the background noise with analogs just drove me nuts! I got my first digital Hearing Aid in 2007 and felt like I started to get my life back after that! I'm so glad you were able to get implants and start hearing all of the beautiful sounds around you again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glenice - I can only imagine the joy and wonder you have experienced with regaining your hearing. But what a blessing it has been for me, and all of us, that you have decided to jump in again! Your help with the costumes has been invaluable, you have so much talent, and you have been my "problem-solver" when something tricky came up. And of course there has been the absolute pleasure of getting to know you and call you friend. Thank you so much, for all of it, and I know the cast and crew thank you as well.
    Norma

    ReplyDelete